I choose you


Now I'm not a big fan of dance remixes. They tend to beat the original and try to expand it from a perfect 3 minute song into a 9 minute club jam. Did Goldfrapp's "Slide In" really need a 12 minute remix, DFA? No! Which brings me to Fred Falke's remix of Gossip's "Heavy Cross". The song in itself was pretty good to begin with: Thumping bass, handclaps, the occasional pitter patter of synths, Beth Ditto screaming her hot-chub ass all over it. Fred Falke literally took her voice and painted it over a synth filld dreamy landscape for 8 minutes...and I love it! In a time where remixes have become sloppy let's-just-add-an-extra-800bpm-to-this, Fred Falke has taken a song given to him and reimagined it. "Heavy Cross" has become an entirely new song for me. I might even like the remix better. Gossip should think about doing an EP of electro-pop jams. It could totally be cool. In fact, I've been dreaming of the day where Brace Paine would lay a fucking punk rock distorted solo over a 4/4 808 beat.

Gossip - Heavy Cross (Fred Falke Remix)

0 comments:

Post a Comment