O my aches and pains




So I attended the Gracious Calamity show last night at Weirder Park General Store (by the 6 corners in Wicker Park, Chicago) and it was a fantastic acoustic show. Gracious Calamity really knocked the walls off the place with their intricate guitar and ukulele work as well as their insanely tight vocal harmonies. However, I really do have to mention a few other performers from last night who totally deserve recognition and are really putting Boston, MA back on the musical map (I'm ashamed of Aerosmith and I'm giving Passion Pit a second chance).

Tiny Tornadoes, I guess, have reunited after a few years hiatus to go on tour and if you check out their Myspace page, the first sentence is literally "Come join Tiny Tornadoes for sing-along campfire fun". And that is literally what you get. A set filled with harmonies, an incomplete-but-never-feels-incomplete drum set, a saxaphone, 2 guitars, and shakers and movers. Their set was a highlight. If you're form Boston, you might remember Shira E. from The Popsicles (Kate and Kit from Gracious Calamity were also members) and the writer of one of my favorite songs ever (Run For Your Money). I'm glad to hear her back in action with Shai, Gabe, and Mickey. It was an awesome set.

The other highlight of the night was another Boston based band called Christians & Lions. Really, if you have a banjo in your band, I'm pretty much into it before you've started playing. Their music was hymn like at points, with flourishing touches of electric guitar and organ. It really was pretty to listen to and almost put me to sleep (in a good way. I def have found a new bedtime record to listen to).

There were other bands playing that I was sort of spaced out through, but you know me, it takes me a couple months to get into things, so I'm not writing anyone off at all (I'm really slow when it comes to music as well as writing my own). I was just super tired and super stoned and super drunk last night and frankly, my bed was calling out for me. But I will definately be taking a trip back to Weirder Park for upcoming shows.

Go here to listen to Tiny Tornadoes

You can download Christians & Lions' records at their website

Visit the Whitehaus Family Record website as well

Weirder Park General Store

0 comments:

Post a Comment