Icy Lytes


Photo: Threat Dot TV

With Homo A Go Go officially starting tonight in San Francisco, I thought this would be a good time to profile one of the hottest groups playing the festival, Icy Lytes. Icy Lytes are a hyphy-crunk-ghettofab duo from LA who've been cranking out jams (officially) since early last year, but in that short amount of time they have already been featured on the IHEARTCOMIX blog (and a bunch of other ones), are on the URB Next 1000, and have a prime slot this Saturday night at Homo A Go Go. We were able to ask Mo'neex and Beex a few questions about their past, present, and future.

Check out the interview, download a couple of tracks, and watch a video after the cut!



IL: Icy Lytes
BX: Beex
MX: Mo'neex

How did you guys get together and start making music as Icy Lytes?

IL-Mo'neex & I met through a mutual friend in '06, and in the fall of '07 she approached me and asked if I would make beats for a few songs that she had written. I was eager to collaborate with more rappers, so I said yeah. At first we had a hard time getting the right sound, but as we got to know each other, we discovered we had great chemistry, and after doing a few shows and having a great response we decided to pursue the band idea.

What were some of your inspirations/ideas going into it?

BX-As for me, I had been making too much serious music, and really needed a fun outlet musically, so all I had in my mind is to make music to party to.

MX-In the beginning I just wanted to write a song for my ghetto 15th street cousins in Missouri, which you all know as "CHICKENAZO", to send them some love from L.A. to Kansas City, Missouri. I was homesick, I was trying to send home some love, but in the end I was ready to create something that was L.A. and POWER HOUSE it up with BEEX.

It's exciting you guys are playing Homo A Go Go! Are there any bands you are excited to see or play with?

BX-Glass Candy is dope. They always put up a great wall of energy and sound.

MX-I'm heated up for Jenna Riot, psyched for Glass Candy and excited for all the amazing artists that we will share the stage with at HOMO-A-GO-GO.


What do you have in the works? Can we expect an album and a tour soon?

BX-We have an EP release comin up sometime in the Fall, and we will definitely tour it up. We have a bunch of new music comin up soon too. A lot more mexican rap jamz.

MX-Expect to hear some collaboration pieces soon such as Jenna Riot, Kid Infinity, HOTTUB, Apes on Tapes and who knows who else?! It will be served with a side of XUCHI-TEC, SWEAT, & ENERGY!!



Icy Lytes - B.W.A.


Icy Lytes - Punta Punta



0 comments:

Post a Comment