Sleeping giants


I find myself coming around to Sigur Ros every few years or so. While the whole "Hopelandic" big bag of bullshit lingers around (OK whatever, he sings in made up tongue when he creates melodies but hasn't formulated lyrics), Jonsi (lead singer/guitarist) has collaborated with his boyfriend Alex to create an instrumental album entitled "Riceboy Sleeps". I don't know who Riceboy is, but I have fallen asleep to Jonsi and Alex many a time. Collaborations include Amiina and the Kópavogsdætur Choir. It also allegedly includes a performance by the last known castrati singer recorded. THAT MEANS HIS BALLS WERE CUT OFF SO HE COULD SING HIGH AND PURE FOREVER. It's a beautiful record to put on, whether it be the soundtrack to a lazy afternoon or falling asleep in bed and honestly, it's cool to hear some music made by queers that I really dig (you failed, Rufus Wainwright, now cut it out).

Jonsi and Alex - Boy 1904
(courtesy of Prefix/XL Recordings)

0 comments:

Post a Comment