Kingdom + Black Box + Martha Wash


So...last weekend was "Gay Pride" and I feel like I've just now recovered. I'm gonna put this out there: I hate Pride. I think that it's mostly just a way for otherwise straight businesses to suck money out of gays for a weekend. However, I do love drinking on the street, so I did a lot of "Pride" activities. One of those activities that was actually pretty awesome was seeing (mostly hearing) Martha Wash.


Martha Wash, if you didn't know already, sang on a bunch of 90's dance hits including C&C Music Factory's "Everybody Dance Now" as well as Black Box's "Everybody Everybody" and was in the Weather Girls (It's Raining Men) AND sang backup for Sylvester. So, she's pretty much a gay icon across the board. All these years later Martha still sounds great and I feel having her perform this year was great timing, with the 90's being super "in" right now. I still hate gay pride events, but I'm glad the organizers booked Martha Wash.

This brings me to the kind of gay pride I can stand behind, queer/gays/whatever being awesome and not wearing shirts with numbers on them, or just wearing shirts. One such person is New York's DJ/Producer Kingdom. I've written about Kingdom before because I'm a big fan of what he does, but it seems fitting to post this remix he did recently of a Black Box song featuring Martha Wash.

It's like everything now makes sense.

Here's Kingdom's remix of Black Box's "I Don't Know Anybody Else" and the classic "Everybody Everybody". Enjoy! 


Black Box - I Don't Know Anybody Else (Kingdom Remix)


Black Box - Everybody Everybody

0 comments:

Post a Comment