Jennifer's Body

Photobucket

Everyone is busy making their lists of favorite movies/music etc. of '09 and I'd like to throw my two cents in as well. Jennifer's Body was by far one of my favorite movies this year: smart, funny, blatantly feminist, and willing to explore female friendships and power in a unique & campy (while at the same time potently emotional) way. It's a tricky combination of horror and comedy; both Megan Fox and Amanda Seyfriend are fucking terrific in it (seriously, Miss Fox had a few moments that were intensely great; watch her face when she is being taken to her doom by a van full of smarmy rock dudes, it's tear-inducingly heartbreaking.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It should be said that when I went to see this movie on opening night I ran into about a million other queers all there for the same thing. Do yourself a favor and rent or buy it (it comes out on dvd tomorrow: apparently the director's cut is even heavier with feminist musings.) This is a movie written and directed by women that is sharp, strange and hilarious so of course it tanked at the box office, but I am sure it will be a lesbian feminist cult classic. I am already obsessed with it which is why I wanted to share it with all of you. xo

3 comments:

Stacy K!!!!!!!!!!!! said... / January 7, 2010 at 1:17 PM  

I've been hesitant to see this. I didn't _love_ Juno like so many others did, and the reviews were mixed. BUT if it has your endorsement, it must be awesome. Will "OnDemand" it tonight!

Stacy K!!!!!!!!! said... / January 8, 2010 at 1:13 AM  

totally worth it. good recommendation.

feeling kind of weirdly attracted to ms. fox now, though. could be a problem.

Anonymous said... / January 12, 2010 at 2:34 AM  

the fact that you see everything through a queer filter is lame, bro.
you're only setting yourself (and your people) back by thinking that way.

Post a Comment