Best (and by best I mean my favorites) of 2009


So a little while back I posted my favorites of the decade, but now I'm gonna give it a go on 2009. I think everyone would agree that 2009 sucked in a lot of different ways, but there were actually a few really great things so I'm gonna focus on those.


Here's my list (in no particular order)



Although the album contained several songs we'd heard before I still listened to Dance Mother more than most other records this year, old songs and all.



Quiet, dark, breathy boy/girl vocals, the perfect amount of reverb and lyrics that make you want to be a teen in love. I like this album so much that I'm already sad because their next one isn't gonna be as good.


The XX - Heart Skipped a Beat

Can someone drop me off in the desert with psychedelics and this record? That's how the record was made and I feel like I should experience it that way. In the meantime, I'll turn the lights off and lay on my couch to listen.





Kristen Stewart
The Twilight movies suck (no pun intended) but I love Kristen Stewart's tortured teenage lesbian portrayal of Bella Swan. It's like she doesn't even really want Edward, she just wants something. If she could stop being stupid about Edward for like a second and go to college she would finally find out that the something is lesbianism. I'd like to believe that KStew's thesbionic choices are a reflection of her lesbionic desires in real life, but we'll probably have to wait like 50 years to find out for sure. In short, I'm tired of Lohan.

Pictureplane - Goth Star
I can't say I've given Pictureplane's whole Dark Rift album a fair shot at making my top faves list because I just want to listen to Goth Star. How could you not love a song that chops up and fuzzes out Stevie Nicks?


Pictureplane - Goth Star



MEN
Great dance jams + totally radical queer lyrics = one of the most exciting bands of 2009.

Kristen Wiig
Even though Kristen Wiig has been overextended as of late on SNL, she is CLEARLY the best part. I pretty much only watch Saturday Night Live to see what weirdness Kristen Wiig is bringing that week.




Gossip - Heavy Cross (Fred Falke Remix)
Heavy Cross is a good song. The Heavy Cross remix Fred Falke did is a GREAT song. It's everything a good remix should be. It resembles the original version but takes it in an unexpected direction. The song is a love song, but I never really felt the romance and sadness and hope and everything else Beth Ditto was singing about until I heard the remix.




YACHT - Psychic City
Maybe Psychic City won't go down in history as one of the greatest songs ever written. It might not even be on that many end of year lists, but I love it. It kind of feels like a modern version of "Genius of Love". It's fun, but not novelty and just generally interesting to listen to.




True Blood Season 2
Maybe I'm a total nerd, but True Blood is one of best shows I've seen in A WHILE. I started watching it this year (thanks internet!) and was immediately hooked. Since I watched it in a (more or less) marathon format, I'm really just choosing the show in general, but I can say that 2009's Season had some pretty wild stuff going on and I loved every minute of it. Can't wait for Season 3!

1 comments:

Stacy K!!!!!!!!!! said... / January 6, 2010 at 11:48 PM  

I wholeheartedly endorse this year-end list. (One of the only Best Ofs I've identified with at all!)

Yes to Jona! Yes to Ms. Wiig! Yes to YOU!

In other news, how did you get into my brain???!

Post a Comment