MIX 22


God how I wish I was in NYC this week! Why?. It's time for the New York Queer Experimental Film Festival AKA MIX NYC. The festival kicks off tonight and runs through Sunday, November 22. Tonight's program is called Opening Night: Making All Local Stops and it features a short biography of Derek Jarman, a film by Gina Carducci & Mattilda Bernstein Sycamore, and 11 other amazing looking films and videos by filmmakers from around the world.

I would like to say that there is one standout, must-see program at this year's festival, but after looking over the schedule every night features some sort of amazingness! (Did I mention how I wished I was in NYC for this?) However, if I had to choose only one, my gut would lead me toward tomorrow night. The show is titled Our Gorgeous Nightmares and is described like this on the MIX website:

"In the shadow of Jean Cocteau, Derek Jarman, and James Bidgood, this is an ensemble of artists who are taking their inspiration from the underworlds of the psyche and transcribing it into high-art. Where some have an aversion to expressions like “avant-garde” and “haute cinema,” others see hungry image-makers whose experimentation is ripe and dripping with glamor. We present to you a banquet of fragrant imagery and flagrant catastrophe, fashioned by directors making love with designers and actors doubling as models poised on Jungian runways in hyper-colored darkness and swimming in dreamscapes encrusted with poetic texture. Indulgence is the new black (and white). Nothing so glorious as these confections of imaginative expression…"

So, yeah, pretty much amazing! Here is "My Dead Brain" by Sarah Stuve (one of the works featured as part of Our Gorgeous Nightmares) as a taste for those of us who can't be there and if you are in NYC...PLEASE go to MIX 22!

"My Dead Brain" 8 minute short from Sarah Stuve on Vimeo.

0 comments:

Post a Comment