The Gay 90's: Manic Panic


We all did it. Every faggot who grew up in the 90's had the same uphill struggle to overcome. That, my dear friends, was the freedom to dye your hair ugly colors with the semi-permission of your parents (Or in my case, it was doing it anyways and my Dad being more angry that I stained the tub. WTF, Dad?). I definately was guilty of using that shit. Vampire Red was my best friend. And then everyone who put that shit on their head realized "Oh wait, this shit sucks. It stays in for a week before I gotta reapply". WHAT WAS A FAGGOT TO DO TO KEEP HIS LUSTROUS LOCKS FIRE ENGINE RED?

That's right, we moved onto:


SPECIAL EFFECTS USA IS THE SHIT. It stayed in forever, was easy to bleach off porcelain, and it made my parents even angrier cause that shit does not fade. And if you ever went to the Boston Gay Prom or whatever the cock that shit is/was (Seriously, don't ever go), you couldn't see anyone who didn't have some sort of gay ass streak of blue or a whole head of pink. Whatever. The point is, gays love to dye their hair wacky colors. And the 90's was no different.

My mom's ex-boyfriend (Who is a total douchebag. Seriously, I hate older people who try too hard to act young) used to call me Metallica until one time I asked him if he even knew who Metallica was. Could he name the members? Could he name an album OTHER than "Kill 'Em All" or "Ride The Lightning"? NO, he could NOT. And that was a victory for every faggot with blue hair in 2002. So fuck you.

DatA - Rapture (ft. Sebastien Grainger)

Dan Black - U + Me

Shalamar - Take That To The Bank

And for everyone's amusement:


Blah blah blah, photo by Kris, blah blah blah. Like, 1 of maybe 15 photos taken of me from 1998-2003.

6 comments:

Anonymous said... / September 24, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

OH MY GOD IS THAT SARAH? I've never seen anything more 90's or gay. Amazing post.

xokaren

jacqueline mary said... / September 24, 2009 at 9:30 AM  

THANK YOU FOR NOT POSTING A PICTURE OF ME
oh my god, thank you. i seriously spent like 5 minutes looking at that picture making sure it wasn't a 'me' that i didn't recognize.
and for the record, i never used manic panic or sfx for that extreme pink look i had. I can't remember the name of the brand, but I remember it came in a tube, and was like $17 at this salon in the harvard square garage. I had to read a ton of tarot cards to support my neon pink habit.

mail order brides said... / September 25, 2009 at 3:23 PM  

dude. fudge. fudge was the one the only.

Grace Jones said... / September 25, 2009 at 3:57 PM  

I just got my hair highlighted for the first time in my life at a salon and the stylist was like, so you've never had dyed hair? I guess I could show them this pic and be like, um...yes. Chick with braids. BTW that was Manic Panic's Electric Lava (a fabulous UV reactive color). My hair was so light it bleached white and any shitty dye would hold for months until I cut it off.

Random thought: Weird that your post after this is about Grace Jones, cause that's my name now that I'm married.

Anonymous said... / September 26, 2009 at 11:53 AM  

loves it and i do miss that hair and my labret piercing! lol oh how we've changed!
xo-Sara

jacqueline mary said... / September 27, 2009 at 9:31 PM  

YES it was fudge!! this is why you are my psychic brother.

Post a Comment