These are hard times. I'll work harder.


Out of all the baroque/chamber/indie pop bands/artists out there, none has excited me more than Patrick Wolf and his catalogue of work. When "Lycanthropy" was released, it really opened my eyes and ears to the fact that finally organic instrumentation and technology did not have to be exclusive to one another. I loved the drum loops mixed with his use of strings, ukulele, pianos, and whatever else was on that record. Fast forward 6 years later and Mr. Wolf is preparing to release his 4th record "The Bachelor" on June 1st via his newly created imprint Bloody Chamber. The first single "Vulture" doesn't really reflect the songs I've heard so far (with it's overuse of hollow sounding drum machines and whatever synth. That trend needs to end please), but the other songs do seem to sound like the counterpoint to "The Magic Position": Moody, less pop radio inclined, the soundtrack to the after party. Guests include Matthew Herbert, Eliza Carthy, Atari Teenage Riot's Alec Empire, and actress Tilda Swinton (YES YES YES). The second alleged single "Hard Times" has leaked and I cannot stop playing it. Congratulations to Patrick Wolf for crafting an amazing record free from major label dramz.

Hop on over to I Guess I'm Floating to hear "Hard Times". It really is worth a listen. And support diy labels/musicians and buy the record when it comes out (if you like what you hear, that is).

0 comments:

Post a Comment