Gay Deceivers


So...so far with this blog I've been a little heavy on the dance music and, as much as I can't believe it, not everybody wants to rave all night and party every day. I didn't mean to lead you to believe that I live in some spaced-out disco world where guitars aren't welcome and standing still is a crime...because, as fun as that may be, everyone has to stop dancing sometimes.

This is how I get to Portland, Oregon's Gay Deceivers. Now listen, I'm not trying to say that Gay Deceivers' music won't make you move...because I definitely think it should and will...but it's not necessarily the sweaty dance party jam type of moving. Gay Deceivers make kind of dissonant, noisy, experimental, rock music with sweet/scary female vocals. They kind of remind me of bands like God is my Co-Pilot or maybe even a little bit of my first true love, The Need. However, I think what they are doing is still really current and it's totally vital to hear queer girls shred. (Check out their Myspace to take in their mastery of the "axe and skins", as metal dudes would say.)

Although you won't get quite the same level of metal magic on the song they sent us, Heart Vacancy, it does have a quirky/eerie quality that would probably lead gay witches to play it on repeat. The drumming is really great, I always love layered vocals, and the lyrics do the song justice.

Gay Deceivers recently released Let it Come True on Sarah Dougher's Cherchez La Femme label and will hopefully tour sometime in the future. In the meantime, I'm gonna listen to Heart Vacancy on repeat.

Maybe I'm a gay witch after all.

Gay Deceivers-Heart Vacancy

0 comments:

Post a Comment