Benni E



After playing Homo A Go Go this summer and putting out the Microphone Influenza mixtape, Philadelphia's Benni E is one of the hottest rappers in queer hip hop (or hip hop in general!). She was cool enough to let us ask her some dorky questions and more importantly, offer up a song or two!

Check out the interview and jams after the cut!




YC: So, you've been releasing songs since at least a year now, but when did you first think "i can do this!" and start rapping/making music?

BE: I started professionally in November of 2007, after connecting with DJ Bunnystyle of Plastic Glamour Studio. Everything took off from that point. Before that I was writing all the time and doing spoken word events in Philly.



YC: If you weren't you and you heard your music, how would you describe it and which song do you think would be your favorite?

BE: i'd say this person is fun, but has a message. The beats she chooses are relevant but not stuck in trends. I would describe the music as heartwarming, energetic, creative, and inspiring.

YC:You've worked with Shunda K, DJ Kotchy, and one of our faves, Sgt. Sass...who are some of your dream collaborators?

BE: Some of my dream collaborators on an int'l level would be, Danger Mouse/Cee-Lo, Just Blaze, 9th Wonder, Pri the Honeydark, you know folks of that calibur regarding producers. I'd love to do some work with folks like Imogen Heap, CLP, Lady Xtra, Erase Errata, and just wonderful artists making music/art that is life changing. I'm really open to collaborations with everyone to be honest. I just really like to make music.


YC: You recently played Homo A Go Go and have played a bunch of shows all over the place. What can we expect from you going into 2010? Do you have an album in the works/will you be touring?

BE: Well I'll be touring next year definitely. The kinks are being worked out now. I'm in the midst of working on my second mix tape entitled The Ninth Oz Child. That'll be out by 2010. And God willing the album will be done for next year as well, but I want it to be good, so i go back to the drawing board often and rework songs.


Benni E - I'm Good


Benni E w/ Fur Salon - Nu Skool Krush

0 comments:

Post a Comment