Double Dare Ya

Don't forget your herstory.







I specifically remember growing up in Massachusetts, rebelling against what I thought was a strict religious suburb. I look back on it years later and realize there was very little I actually had a problem with, but the things I did have problems with were huge human rights issues that shouldn't have had any interaction from the gov't or churches of America. But the spirit of feminism, in that form I could actually relate to in the then and now (as opposed to having to experience it through books) was positively infectious and inspiring. It was a complete eye opener. Fast forward to 2003 where I was playing in a punk rock band with 2 lady friends, switching off on instruments, all singing together, and getting completely shut out from the Boston music scene. We only played a handful of crappy shows (specifically 1 GSA benefit where the band before us threw around the word "fag" way too much. I remember throwing the biggest fit after) and quietly disbanded when I moved away. I miss that feeling of community, a sense that individually we may have been weird or not the prettiest in accordance to unattainable beauty standards, but together there was a lot to accomplish, a lot accomplished, and one of the only times in my life I actually felt like I belonged somewhere. I still don't feel like I can identify with a majority of communities, but I'm grateful I got to experience it at least once so far. Riot Grrl (and a majority of the bands that came out of it) was a huge saving grace to an otherwise mundane, sterile adolescence surrounded by the notion of people telling my friends and myself that we had no right to be ourselves. To all involved, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. And to the people who tried to shut it all down, I say a big fuck you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment